These are my rules to life.....made with help from John Cage...enjoy.
1. Keep your friends close to you. Love then, and why not everybody?
2. There is no such thing as “hotness”. In fact, it is all in the eye of the beholder—and very context specific. What we get thrown into can be dangerous.
3. Be respectful of your elders. Even if they are old and full of shit, something in their experience they share with you is important—even if it is not so on the surface.
4. After you ask: “what does it mean?”…and you have gone as far as you can…“ask why does it mean?” ….Example: what does it mean to be gay….. why does it mean to be gay? Or more specifically. Why is there meaning to the identity of gay.
5. Injury occurs when you are tired or when you are not confident. So rest and take the leap of faith and believe in yourself.
6. Originality is not hard to find or do. You are unique, and thus, anything you do is intrinsically original. What is hard is to avoid following others, and following yourself
7. Follow others, learn from them. But in the end, be original.
8. There is nothing more exciting than Fierceness. Werk on finding your fierceness and being Fierce! Ya’ Bettah WERQ!
9. There is no such thing as better. This is another judgment statement that has no context or content. It is preference without grounding. Avoid using the at all cost.
10. “There is no win and no fail. There is only make.”
11. Take all the classes you can. Read all the books you can. Know all the News you can. Talk to as many people as you can. Make as many friends as you can. Work with all the people you can. Experience the world, and then some.
12. Always be open to new ideas. After some digestions, do as you wish.
13. “Be self disciplined. This means finding someone smart or wise and choosing to follow them. To be disciplined is to follow in a good way. To be self-disciplined is to follow in a better way.”
14. Find your practice, your daily practice, and, be true to this.
15. Your calling may not be what you hoped for, but in the end, you will be happy to wake up everyday to do as you know you have to do.
16. Know your process, and respect it. Follow it, learn about it, chill with it, and let it take you where you wish to go—or somewhere new.
17. Try not to create and analyze at the same time, they are different processes. *
18. “The only rule is work. If you work it will lead to something. It is the people who do all of the work all the time who eventually catch onto things. You can fool the fans - but not the players.”
19. Save everything, document everything. It will come in handy, at least once!
20. Dancers make the impossible possible. This is their plight, their duty, their love.
21. Think like a scientist and an artist, think creatively, think philosophically. In the end, make everything your experiment, the world your lab.
22. Saying it make it a reality. Naming it makes it real. What you put out, is put out into existence into the world.
23. Plié, Fold
24. Try to have as much happiness in your life as possible. Also, try to eat well, and eat great! Tasty food is great for you!
25. Try to be organized.
27. Set goals and timelines, even if they are not reached or even followed, you marked a path to stray from and maybe to return to….
28. Be good to yourself. Know thyself. Be good to yourself. Everything with excellence, you're excellent, your excellence.