12 Habits for Sustainable Fitness.
1. Exercise even if you only have 10 or 15 minutes to do it.
2. Invest in a fitness tracker or journal to help determine your activity level outside of the gym.
3. Mix up your routine. Just do different activities: Walking, Hiking, gym circuit training, Zumba, swimming, football, salsa & social dance, bowling, weightlifting, yoga, cross-fit, core blaster, tai chi, running, dancing, biking, etc.
4. Instead of skipping a workout, focus on how great you'll feel after you have moved your body a bit today.
5. Don't wait for an occasion to get in shape. Fitness is a lifestyle. Waiting until an anniversary, reunion, etc. will just create unrealistic expectations and make you feel unsuccessful when you've actually made great progress!
6. Eat NUTRITIOUS FOOD. Everything in moderation. Fresh Veggies, Fresh Fruits, Greens, Color, Water, Minerals, Vitamins! More plant protein, more lean protein and rich fibers. Less simple sugar, corn syrup, and processed foods.
7. Keep weeknight drinking to a minimum. Save it for the weekend when you have more leisure time and energy.
8. Work out at home if you can't get to a gym. A walk around the block or sweating to a workout DVD is great!
9. Exercise when you're sore. You don't have to go crazy and do heavy weight-lifting, light cardio can help soreness. Movement helps bring much needed nutrients to the sore areas with increased blood flow, aiding repair and healing.
10. Focus on how you want to feel rather than how you want to look.
11. Remember that the main goal isn't to run 10 miles a day, it's to do something physical. If you can just get to the gym, you'll probably end up staying longer than you originally thought. And isn’t that great!
12. Get sleep. Get LOTS of sleep. Proper rest is crucial to see the results you want. Sleep and physical activity charges your body with clean energy for the next day to come.
13. Celebrate your progress and don't beat yourself up when you still have more work to do! Fitness is about the journey, not achieving perfection.
Adapted from: http://article.riffsy.com/
article/12-habits-of-people- who-always-stay-fit-number-5- is-so-smart-1